Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Hoopin' it up...

While I'm waiting to hear the outcome on some important decisions, I'm keeping myself busy with hoops, hoops and more hoops!

First of all, congratulations are in order for the Madison boys for making their return trip to the State Tournament. I'd have to check the record books, but I want to say the last time the Bulldogs made back-to-back state tourney appearances was probably in the 1940s... if anyone knows for sure, please let me know so I don't sound like a moron!

Frankly, I'm glad to see Madsion clicking on all cylinders again. They've had a bit of a rough season with injuries, so they really have only had their full team together for a short while. But you can see the confidence back again, and that was true against Sioux Falls Christian in the Region finals. Definitely makes one forget about that stinker of a last regular season game... oops!

I was just informed that my "fan license" is dangerously close to being suspended... Turns out you can't be a fan and say anything critical about the team-- By that twisted logic, it means I'm no longer a fan of the Minnesota Twins, Minnesota Vikings, Notre Dame Fighting Irish, the South Dakota State Jackrabbits, the Milwaukee Beers and the Texas State Fighting Armadillos!

But I know that Madison will make a good showing in Sioux Falls next week. And of course, "The Voice of the Bulldogs" will be there... fan license or not! LOL

Speaking of Madison, the Lady Bulldogs have had a rough season. The girls got a new head coach and learned a new style of play. And even though wins weren't plentiful, the girls showed grit, determination and heart--the makings of a good team! And if they can play next season like they played at the end of the season, they're definitely going to turn some heads next year!

But this week, it's all about the ladies, mainly Colman-Egan. The C-E Hawks are the top-seed in this year's Class B tournament and are unbeaten. Augustana signee Cami Koehn has been the sparkplug for this team, as they're looking for their first-ever state title. In many ways, Koehn reminds me a lot of Michelle Amundson, who was a "Miss Basketball" player for Dell Rapids a few years back. Both players make the others around them not only play better, but WANT to play better. THAT's what being an MVP and a leader is all about! But we'll be following them on FM 103.1, so you Colman and Egan folks can put away your poisoned pens!

My Jackrabbits have done well, especially the Lady Jacks. The wrapped up their first-ever regular season Division I conference title and are pretty much a shoo-in for the WNIT later this month. It'd be nice if they could make the NCAA's, but that'll have to wait til next year. As for the men, well, they improved a bit over last year's wreck of a season. Despite not getting many more wins, they stayed in many games, flexed their muscles (thanks to some off-season weightlifting) and now know what it takes to win in Division I men's basketball. Considering the bulk of this year's team was primarily freshman and sophomores, I'm excited to see these salty jacks hit the hardwood next year!

No comments: