Thursday, February 12, 2009

Kinda gets you right here...

In the vein of "High Fidelity"... my top five songs that "Get You Right There."

5) "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"-Gordon Lightfoot

Based on the true story of the S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald, Lightfoot composed this song after seeing a typo in a story commemorating the one-year anniversary of the sinking of the "Big Fitz". Some minor inaccuracies in the song, but it's a haunting melody that still raises the hair on my forearms.

4) "Lullaby"-Josh Groban

Can't hear this song without thinking of Zoey Jane.

3) "Amazing Grace"-Various

A great hymn, but when it's performed with bagpipes... well, start the waterworks, folks.

2) "The Great Beyond"-REM

When I eventually shuffle off this mortal coil (hopefully not for a LONG time), I want the folks planning my funeral/memorial/open bar to play this song. Great lyrics with a hint of what could coming in the next life.

"I'm breaking through/I'm bending spoons/I'm keeping flowers in full bloom/I'm looking for answers from the Great Beyond"

1) "Knocking on Heaven's Door"-Bob Dylan

Not the reggae-tinged hit by Eric Clapton, nor the crowd sing-along by 80's hair-band masters Guns n' Roses... the actual, honest-to-God version by Mr. Dylan himself. The version that appeared in the Sam Peckinpaugh film "Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid."

The first time I heard the original, I was getting ready to broadcast a game in Belle Fourche. The oldies station out of Rapid City was playing and this song came up. I literally stopped in my tracks, closed my eyes, and hung on for consciousness as this song literally knocked the wind out of me. Amazing.


So... what songs have knocked you on your ass lately? Let me know!

No comments: