Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Infiltrate and Conquer!

Some political thoughts as I was doing my morning run...

With the struggles that the Libertarian Party has in getting its name out and getting funding, I'm thinking it's about time that the party members look at other tactics.

By this, I mean infiltrating and conquering the Republican Party.

In the late 1970s-early 80s, the Republican Party was hijacked by the so-called "Moral Majority", who wanted government to pretty much enforce their religious views onto laws and government. Kinda like Iran, without the terrorism.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't like prohibiting religion out of public discussion. But to force-feed it down our throats is just as asinine.

But what the Moral Majority did is split away from the idea that Government should stay out of people's lives. And they've been firmly entrenched in power for the past 20+ years.

Frankly, I think they've worn out their welcome.

The nice thing about the Libertarian Party is that it says government needs to stay out of people's lives as well as their pocketbooks. Heck, even Ronald Regan said the Republican Party was established in Libertarian roots.

But sadly the party has lost its way. The party of individual freedom and limited government has continued to grow during Dubya's reign. And it's driven a lot of people away.

I think the true Republicans would welcome a return to more Libertarian ideas. I doubt the Democrats would be so key on goverment getting out of our checkbooks.

But hey, a Libertarian can dream, can't he?

So my Libertarian brothers and sisters, lets raid the Republicans, inflitrate the party and TAKE IT OVER!!! The Dems and the "Moral" Majority don't stand a chance!

2 comments:

caheidelberger said...

I would welcome a Libertarian takeover of the party, not because it might give Dems a few years of control while the Republicans go through civil war (though feel free to draw it out as long as you want ;-) ), but because I think you guys would be less full of bull. Libertarians would offer a much clearer, more honest political alternative than the GOP can manage... plus, you'd waste less time on fundagelical social issues. You wage your revolution... and I'll work on putting Kucinich and Nader in charge of the Dems!

Jackrabit1 said...

Agreed!

And now, worthy adversary, let the games begin! LOL