Saturday, April 08, 2006

Music List number 1

So if anyone has ever watched "High Fidelity," one of the running themes in the movie is about lists... lists of bad relationships, but most importantly song lists.

Now I'm not a music expert by any means. I play what I like and like what I play (unless its Carrie Underwood for the 18th frickin time in a row during my shift!!). But music is an important part of my life. It sets the mood, relaxes me, and can get me fired up for another day of waking up at 4:30 in the morning.

But my first list is songs to listen to when you want to relax... my top five....most of it is classical, but that's what gets me to relax.

5) "Blue Spanish Sky"-Chris Issak... beautiful, haunting. His voice was made for an acousitic guitar.
4) Second movement from New World Symphony-Antonin Dvorak... one of my favorite classical pieces... simple, relaxing...
3) "Greensleeves"-Ralph (pronounced "RAFE") Vaughan Williams... and old melody done, very very well. One of the finest of the British composers.
2) "Take Five"-Dave Brubeck... classy! cool! the sax is like floating on a cloud.
1) "Variations on a Theme by Thomas Tallis"-Ralph Vaughan Willams... like drifting away into outer space... or to the musty halls of a 16th-Century cathederal. Totally blew me away the first time I heard it!

No comments: